Public Authority for In-Home Supportive Services in Yolo County

Call us at 1-800-630-2224 or 530-661-2676

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)?

You must contact IHSS at (530) 661-2955. They can answer eligibility questions and schedule you for an in-home assessment with an IHSS Social Worker.

I am already an IHSS Consumer and I am looking for a homecare provider. What do I do?

Call the Public Authority Registry at (530) 661-2676. We will ask you some basic information about yourself and what you are looking for in a provider. Based on your needs, we will customize a list of providers willing to work in your area and able to perform you’re domestic and personal care needs.

What will be on my customized list?

Customized lists include between 3 and 6 names of screened and trained providers who meet the criteria you gave the Registry. The lists will have the provider’s name, telephone number, languages spoken, daily availability, completed training and certificates.

What are my responsibilities as an IHSS Consumer?

In order to preserve personal choice, consumers do all hiring, interviewing, setting work schedules, confirming provider qualifications, signing timesheets, supervising, and firing. If you feel you need help with these responsibilities, call the Public Authority Registry at (530) 661-2676.

I hired a provider. Now what do I do?

Contact the IHSS Adult Services Worker to start the IHSS enrollment paperwork. DO NOT have the provider begin work before completing the provider enrolment process.


I am interested in working for the Public Authority as a provider. What do I have to do?

Call the Public Authority at (530) 661-2676 to request an application and schedule to attend an orientation. After the orientation you must complete an interview with our staff where your availability, experience, references, and preferences will be verified. You must have tested NEGATIVE for TB within the past 10 months, and must also pass Drug & Alcohol testing, and a regional background check. If you complete all steps to the satisfaction of the Public Authority and are accepted onto the Registry, then your information is entered into the computer database.

Who is my employer?

The In Home Supportive Services consumer.

As a provider on the Registry, how do I get referred to consumers?

When a consumer calls the Registry trying to find a homecare provider, we will ask them about their needs and provider preferences. We enter this information into the database, which identifies the providers who best meet the consumer’s criteria. Staff will then confirm the listed providers are still available for work. Those names will then be mailed to the consumer, who is responsible for calling the providers as soon as possible to set up interviews. The consumer is responsible for hiring the provider of his/her choice, setting the work schedule, signing time sheets, supervising, and firing providers.

Does being on the registry guarantee me work?

The Registry is a referral service. It is not an employment agency and does not guarantee work.

Do I need an answering machine or voice mail to be a Registry provider?

While it is not required to have an answering machine or voicemail, it is recommended. One of the keys to finding work through the Registry is being accessible in a timely manner.
HINT: Answering machine messages should be professional, spoken clearly, and not have any background noise or music.

Once accepted to the Registry, how often do I need to update my availability?

You must call to update and check in at least once every three months to let us know if you are still looking for work and if any information has changed. If we do not hear from you, you will be made inactive and not referred for potential jobs.

What is the pay rate?

The current pay rate in Yolo County is $11.02 per hour.

What benefits are available?

Providers who work a MINIMUM of 80 hours per month for THREE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS are eligible for Medical, Vision and Dental Insurance. There are currently 180 providers covered by the plan. Providers who become newly eligible are placed on a waiting list.

If a consumer is being abused or neglected, what do I do?

As an IHSS provider, you are MANDATED by law to report all cases of abuse/neglect to Adult Protective Services (APS) at (530) 661-2955 or to law enforcement. If you are unsure if the consumer is being abused, call the consumer’s IHSS Social Worker or APS. All reporters of suspected abuse can remain anonymous. If you fail to report suspected abuse/neglect, you could face imprisonment and/or a fine.

What the Public Authority does not do?

The Public Authority does not employ providers. We do our best to help providers find work; however, listing with our registry is not a guarantee of employment. We are not a county agency and we are not IHSS. We are not part of any union.

How does the Registry make referrals?

When IHSS consumers looking for providers call our registry, we ask them questions and then try to make matches based on:

When a list of providers is created from the database, it is sent to the consumer or their contact person. The consumer may call the provider to discuss the job. If both parties are interested, the consumer will invite any provider on the list to come for an interview.

During the interview, both the provider and consumer should make sure that they are comfortable with each other, the type of work to be done and the payment arrangement. It is best to make a contract that both of you sign before a provider begins work.

The Public Authority can provide information about how to write a contract, create a task schedule, what responsibilities and rights providers and consumers have and other care giving issues.

Which Union do I contact concerning provider issues?

Please contact SEIU 2015 at
1 (855) 810-2015
Sacramento Office - North Coast Region 4
681 W. Capitol Ave. Suite 100
West Sacramento, CA 95605